Do I need to get verified if I want to climb at Onsight?
All climbers are welcomed to use the auto-belay system and bouldering walls. You are only required to get verified if you want to Top Rope belay or Lead Climb.
Why did we implement verification?
To create a safer environment for climbers, Onsight verifies that climbers are proficient before they are allowed to Top Rope belay or Lead Climb unsupervised in the gym.
What to expect during the verification process?
During the 30 minute verification session, you are required to demonstrate your ability to meet the required climbing and belaying standards using an Assisted Braking Belay Device (ABD). You may refer to the metrics to see what you will be assessed on - (Top Rope Belay Metrics/Lead Climbing Metrics). Rental Devices (Mammut Smart) are be loanable for the purposes of verification; please ensure that you know how to use the device. Upon passing the assessment, you will be issued a verification tag. Please display your tag at all times when you are climbing.
How do I know if I am ready for verification?
Things to note:
- There will be no exchange of old tag to new tag.
- This verification is not a replacement for attending a course/ formal training, and participants are expected to be proficient in the required skills before taking the test.
- Climbers are required to check-in to the gym for the day before taking the verification; verification fee does not include entry & rentals.
- Slots will only be confirmed after payment is made.
- There will no change of slots and refund for cancellations, thereafter.
Top Rope Practice
Refresh yourself on how to tie a retraced figure 8 knot, proper configuration of the ABD, proper belay technique, and pre-climb checks and other essential practices to safely Top Rope climb and Belay.
Duration: 2 hours
- Attended Top Rope Workshop (TRW) OR
- Obtained SNCS Level 1 certificate
Lead Climbing Practice
Refresh yourself on how to tie a retraced figure of 8 knot, proper configuration of the ABD, dynamic belay technique, proper clipping, pre-climb checks and other essential practices to safely Lead Climb.
Duration: 2 hours
- Attended Lead Climbing Workshop (LCW) OR
- Obtained SNCS Level 2 certificate